Wednesday, November 14, 2007

final project

for my final project i have a really rough idea of using the solving of a rubiks cube of the passing of time. i learned how to solve the cube about 5 years ago and have been solving it ever since. it's not a big deal to me that i can solve this thing in under a minute because one of my friends (the person who taught me) can solve it in under 30 seconds. and since i've solved it so many times, it kind of looses it's magic... until i solve it for someone who has never seen such a thing. i always have fun just pulling my cube out in public places such as buses, stores, etc. and solving it for those around us. most people start watching... look away because they think i'm just playing with it then look back a while later and there i am, holding a completely solved rubik's cube. the expressions differ. some just look at me, look at the cube, then laugh a little. others will hit the person next to them and whisper something in their ear along the lines of 'that girl just solved a rubik's cube!' and some start asking me things...
"did you really just solve that?"
"how long did it take you to learn that?"
"if i mix it up, will you still be able to solve it?"
i answer them and always let them mix it up in an attempt to trip me up... for my project i want to go to wal*mart (or some other public place) and start solving my cube, waiting for people to gather around and take pictures of them and their expressions as i'm solving it. while this is the ideal situation, it won't work for a couple of reasons...
1. i need to be taking the pictures... not in them.
soooo, i thought i could get my best friend (who i taught how to solve the cube a couple years ago) could take my place, and i could take pictures.... this won't work for a couple reasons...
2. she can't solve it as fast
3. she doesn't really remember how to solve it all the way.
so. i came to the conclusion that i am going to try and re-teach it to her.. and while i would really like to have real people and real reactions i don't think it's going to work that way. so. i think i am going to get some of my friends/family to pose for the picture... that way, if audrey (my friend) gets into trouble and can't remember a move, i can step in and do the next move for her. my goal is to cover all of the reactions i normally get and resemble the real reactions as closely as possible.
i'll post some rough sketches of my idea soon...

a couple artists i'm looking to are the guy she showed us in class, frank wall. his pictures show real reactions in staged settings... another one is my uncle, barry george. he captures true reactions in real situations. nothing is staged... you can always get a good sense of the mood of the time the picture was taken and he often has a very wide view...

example of barry george pictures - these are all pictures of my family that he took in spain. no one really knew when he was taking pictures. we're used to him by now and just assume that he is taking a picture of us all. the. time.



this is of me, my dad and brother. as you can tell we've been walking for a while and are all tired and ready to move on.



this is a picture of me showing my family a funny picture of, ironically, barry. as you can tell, i'm pretty proud of it, and my family sure seems to be enjoying it.



this picture was taken after my sister asked if a balloon was tied to her head. no one really knew what she was talking about (typical) but we all started laughing, obviously.

No comments: